Re: NUMA scheduler (was: 2.5 merge candidate list 1.5)

From: Martin J. Bligh (mbligh@aracnet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 11:57:21 EST

> The pool data is needed to be able to loop over the CPUs of one node,
> only. I'm convinced we'll need to do that sometime, no matter how simple
> the core of the NUMA scheduler is.

Hmmm ... is using node_to_cpumask from the topology stuff, then looping
over that bitmask insufficient?

> The pool_lock is protecting that data while it is built. This can happen
> in future more often, if somebody starts hotplugging CPUs.

Heh .... when someone actually does that, we'll have a lot more problems
than just this to solve. Would be nice to keep this stuff simple for now, if
possible.

> Sorry, the comment came from a former version...

No problem, I suspected that was all it was.

>> just block). If you really still need to do this, RCU is now
>> in the kernel ;-) If not, can we just chuck all that stuff?
>
> I'm preparing a core patch which doesn't need the pool_lock. I'll send it
> out today.

Cool! Thanks,

M.