Re: 2.4.20pre11aa1 freezes after inserting a PCMCIA ethernet card

From: Bas Vermeulen (bvermeul@blackstar.nl)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 02:59:33 EST

Hi Bernd,

> I have a Toshiba Satellite 2540 CDT laptop. It works with a stock
> Redat-6.2 2.2.14 kernel RPM (but not with the 2.2.19 Update RPM -
> symptoms are similar to below). The system is basically a RedHat-7.3
> with the 2.2.14 kernel from RedHat-6.2 and some newer RPMS from
> RawHide.
> The Kernel (probably) freezes after inserting a Surecom PCMCIA
> Ethernet Card (EP-427/EP-427-T) since it always fsck'es the
> filesystems during the next boot. If the laptop is booted without
> the card, everything is working properly (though I do not do much
> without the network card).
> This happens if the PCMCIA card already is inserted during startup or
> if it is inserted later on (after a successful boot as described above).

You may want to try to cut back on io ports probed by cardmgr.
Almost the same happens on my box, when I don't cull some of the io ports
in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts. You can try commenting out some of the ports
there (I believe 0x800 was the culprit on my laptop, ymmv).

Hope this helps,

Bas Vermeulen

--
"God, root, what is difference?"
	-- Pitr, User Friendly

"God is more forgiving." -- Dave Aronson