RE: Problem with ACPI on Abit KT7,HPT370

From: Arthur Aldridge (aj@yasashi.net)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 12:08:38 EST

   I'm running a KT7-Raid with bios A9.

   After rebuilding my kernel yesterday (2.4.19-gentoo-r9) with
ACPI I ran into this same issue. I noted that at that time the
devices attached to the HPT370 were reporting at DMA 2.
I realized I'd turned the IDE cables around.

   After fixing that the system worked fine. Early this morning I
decided to move the DVD drive to a different system and replaced
it with an older Samsung CD-ROM and I haven't been able to boot
since. The only change besides the CD-ROM is that my bios
setting were reset and perhaps I don't have exactly the same
settings. Alt-SysRq+b responds, and if I disable the HPT370 the
system boots without issue. I've tried disconnecting the CD-ROM
and disabling DMA at boot, none of which is working.....

I suppose I'll just go back with the HPT370 disabled and compile
a non-acpi kernel to see if it starts working again but this is baffle
the bejesus out of me.

--
Arthur Aldridge
Sun Certified Solaris Admin