Trouble with a cmpci soundcard.

From: Nils O. (noselasd@frisurf.no)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 06:57:44 EST

Hi,
I have this soundcard:
  Bus 0, device 13, function 0:
    Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8338A (rev
16).
      IRQ 5.
      Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=2.Max Lat=24.
      I/O at 0xe400 [0xe4ff].

And using the cmpci driver.
The problem is, mostly the sound is nogood, most sound comes from one
speaker, and it just sounds completly screwd up. Atleast with most
programs shuch as xmms, mplayer, most games. However with mpg123 and
ogg123 it sounds fine.
Now, for the programs which i can set to run in 8 bit modus (e.g.
esd -b, artsd -b 8 ) the sound is also fine. Is this really an 8 bit
soundcard ?
What troubles me is that with a 2.4.2 kernel(at least the one from
Redhat, 7.2 I believe it was ), I didn't have to do anything special,
the sound was always ok. The next kernel I tried was 2.4.5, not ok,
Now running 2.4.20-pre11, same problems here, so I installed ALSA
and with its snd-cmipci driver sound is alwasy fine, so I do think
there is something fishy with the cmpci driver...

[noselasd@space noselasd]$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0: 15323118 XT-PIC timer
  1: 123539 XT-PIC keyboard