Re: rootfs exposure in /proc/mounts

From: Andreas Haumer (andreas@xss.co.at)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 05:21:15 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
[...]
> Bug 1 - don't softlink directly to /proc/mounts :) embedded guys
> typically do this, and you see why it bites you in the ass :)

Jeff, this remembers me on some discussion on LKML we had almost
exactly 2 years ago (look for the thread starting with Message-ID
Pine.LNX.4.02.10010251043060.5657-100000@rimbaud.xss.co.at)

Do you remember?

My opinion on this issue is still the same:

- Not only "embedded guys" symlink /etc/mtab to /proc/mounts!
   We do this for years now on our diskless workstations, because
   here our root-fs (and therefore /etc) is mounted readonly and
   so there is no way to update a _regular_ "/etc/mtab" file on
   a running system.

- /etc should contain only static configuration information.
   The table of mounted filesystems is not this kind of data.
   It's state information and should live somewhere else.

- the table of mounted filesystems is information which
   the kernel must have, anyway. Why maintain a separate
   file in userspace?

Comments?

- Andreas

--