Re: PATCH: Support PCI device sorting (Re: PCI device order problem)

From: H. J. Lu (hjl@lucon.org)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 17:53:42 EST

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 06:29:23PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> >I added pci=nobussort since it might not be safe for all MBs. Then I
> >added "pci=bussort". I have no problem taking out "pci=bussort". If you
> >don't want "pci=bussort", please say so. I can provide a new patch which
> >won't define pci_sort_by_bus_slot_func if CONFIG_PCI_SORT_BY_BUS_SLOT
> >is not set and won't have "pci=bussort" either.
> >

> You're still missing the point here too.
>
> Your patch has the potential to suddenly make systems unbootable, to
> suddenly reverse people's ethX interface numbering, etc. No command

That is the whole purpose of my patch. But you will only get it when
you set CONFIG_PCI_SORT_BY_BUS_SLOT_FUNC.

> line options in the world will save lkml from being deluged by tons of
> "my system doesn't network anymore" bug reports.

You will only get it when you set CONFIG_PCI_SORT_BY_BUS_SLOT_FUNC on
purpose by hand.

> The basic point is "let's proceed with caution, and test test test
> before applying this patch."

Please state clearly what you have in mind. First you were
saying you didn't like pci_sort_by_bus_slot_func defined when
CONFIG_PCI_SORT_BY_BUS_SLOT_FUNC wass not set. Now you were
saying my patch was dangerous. Please make up your mind.

H.J.