Re: NMI watchdog not ticking at the right intervals

From: Corey Minyard (minyard@acm.org)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 14:54:11 EST

Mikael Pettersson wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:09:10 -0500, Corey Minyard wrote:
>

>>As I have been working on my NMI patch, I have noticed that the NMI
>>watchdog does not seem to be ticking correctly. I've tried 2.4 and 2.5
>>kernels, and I get the same results. From my reading of the code, it
>>should tick once a second. However, I have had the time between ticks
>>vary from around 33 to over 100 seconds. Tbe time between ticks is
>>different on every boot, but is consistent once booted. Is there some
>>divider register that's not getting initialized?
>>
>>Here's my cpuinfo:
>>
>>processor : 0
>>cpu_package : 0
>>vendor_id : GenuineIntel
>>cpu family : 6
>>model : 11
>>model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU 1066MHz
>>

>(Me thinks "speedstep?")
>
>Do you boot with nmi_watchdog=1 or 2?

It's set to 2 (local APIC). Actually, when I set it to 1 (in 2.5) the
code overrides it and sets it to 2. But 2 is what it is running with now.

>The perfctr + local-APIC driven NMI watchdog is dependent
>on the CPU's clock frequency. If this changes, the NMI rate
>will change accordingly.
>
>The NMI rate may also be affected by APM/ACPI and how often
>the kernel executes HLT.

This board is not doing speed stepping. It's running derated for
reliability.

But that makes me think of something...

If I put a program into an infinite loop, then it will step every second
like it is supposed to. That makes sense now.

Thanks,

-Corey