Re: Linux 2.5.44-ac3

From: Jason Williams (jason_williams@suth.com)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 10:34:59 EST

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 06:19, Alan Cox wrote:
> ** I strongly recommend saying N to IDE TCQ options otherwise this
> should hopefully build and run happily.

Ok, so I did some "head-banging-against-the-wall" digging into the IDE
code(my wall is dented now...) and I found where hwif->mate gets
populated. Checking out this code and the code of the calling function,
I found that since the Primary interface is disabled, the first call to
the ide_hwif_configure is for the secondary channel. Being the first
call to the function the mate argument to the ide_hwif_configure
function is null. Since the mate argument is null this makes the
secondary interface have no mate, and it needs one(don't we all). I
figured it might be alright to populate it's hwif->mate var with a copy
of itself. I thought about this and if that var gets called elsewhere
in the code, worst it would do is attempt to double initialize something
on that interface, I think. So it seems like a few lines right by the
assignment of hwif->mate might take care of this. I basically check
mate for null, AND port for not zero. If those 2 conditions are met, I
set hwif->mate to a copy of hwif itself and let it go. It looks like
this runs ok on my boxen. I am just wondering everyone's opinion on
this proposed fix.

Jason Williams