Re: Bitkeeper outrage, old and new

From: Andrew D Kirch (trelane@trelane.net)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 19:27:09 EST

OK, time for me to weigh in, I agree with RMS that this must be both a technical and ethical board, and in fact moreso must encompass ALL aspects of the development of the kernel.
Next, I would like to apologize to Larry McVoy, you have given us your program, free of cost, you have allowed us to use your program, which was determined by Linus (and with the respect I have for this man, let alone his position, his determination is inarguable) to be the superior source management system. You sir have taken more (and pardon me here) shit than just about anyone I've ever seen on any mailing list. Quite honestly sir, I would have packed up my basketball and gone home. I thank you for staying and assure you that there are people on this list, and in the community that thank you for your efforts in making the linux kernel what it is.

To RMS, and the host of those in the world, I add one more freedom to those espoused in the GPL. The freedom to simply not use it when software released under it's terms aren't the best fit for what needs to be done. It's a license not a swiss army knife. Anyways I'm done ranting, regards to all who have had their time wasted in this fruitless argument, and thankyou again to larry for his tolerance of this.

Andrew D Kirch