Switching from IOCTLs to a RAMFS

From: Mark Peloquin (peloquin@us.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 11:23:23 EST

Based on the feedback and comments regarding
the use of IOCTLs in EVMS, we are switching to
the more preferred method of using a ram based
fs. Since we are going through this effort, I
would like to get it right now, rather than
having to switch to another ramfs system later
on. The question I have is: should we roll our
own fs, (a.k.a. evmsfs) or should we use sysfs
for this purpose? My initial thoughts are that
sysfs should be used. However, recent discussions
about device mapper have suggested a custom ramfs.
Which is the *best* choice?

Thanks,
Mark