Re: SGI Visual Support?

From: Andrey Panin (pazke@orbita1.ru)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 00:52:49 EST

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:13:32PM -0700, Robin Johnson wrote:
> Greetings list
>
> I am writing to enquire of the status of SGI Visual Workstation support
> in the 2.5 series.

Non functional at this moment :(

> The Linux VISWS page on sourceforge
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-visws
> Has a patch for 2.5.24
> This currently doesn't apply 2.5.44 due to the i386 arch split in
> 2.5.37.
>
> It seems the patch on the site developed from this thread, but ends
> inconclusively:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=102465834001728&w=2
>
> Did anybody get it working more than this?
> Does anybody have any more input about the VISWS code working/not
> working?

I'm working on it, but lack of time makes my progress very slow.

> I ask because I have a lot of VISWS 320 boxes at my disposal now and I
> am interested in using them because of the really nice SCSI system they
> have. I've got one connected to a 20Gb DLT drive for doing backups
> presently, running 2.2.10 (the only kernel I could get to work). But I
> need a more recent kernal with netfilter for some firewalling issues.

Are you ready to test new kernels ?
I'm interested in dual cpu VISWS because mine has 1 cpu and it's
impossible(?) to buy a VRM in Russia.

--
Andrey Panin            | Embedded systems software developer
pazke@orbita1.ru        | PGP key: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net