Re: 2.4.20-pre8 swaps ide controller order on A7V266-E

From: Nick Orlov (nick.orlov@mail.ru)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 21:30:36 EST

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 03:23:46PM -0400, Bruce Lowekamp wrote:

> Starting with 2.4.19 and continuing in 2.4.20-pre8, the order the kernel
> associates with the two IDE controllers (one VIA vt8233 and one PDC20265
> intended for RAID use) on the A7V266-E has been reversed. The BIOS and
> GRUB consider the VIA to be first, so root(hd0,0) loads the kernel from the
> first device on the VIA controller. Prior to 2.4.19, the OS then booted
> with that drive identified as hda. Beginning with 2.4.19, however, the
> kernel instead identifies the PDC as ide0 and ide1, and puts the VIA at
> ide2 and ide3, resulting in the boot drive being hde.
>
> I found an earlier mention of this on the mailing list, but no solution or
> workaround was suggested. We are using a workaround where 2.4.19 and later
> kernels are booted with root=/dev/hde1 and earlier with hda1, and fstab
> lists both hda2 and hde2 as swap partitions, simply failing to insert one.
> This works, but the general ugliness and maintenance headaches since this
> is different than the typical machine config we use around here make it
> difficult to use in the long run.
>
> I'm not sure what the process of identifying order of controllers involves,
> but the discrepancy between the BIOS, older kernels, and newer kernels
> seems like something that should be fixed if possible.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Bruce Lowekamp

You can apply this tiny patch.
Works for me just fine.

I have another version of patch - slightly bigger. It introduces new
config option CONFIG_PDC20265_PRIMARY. But peoples here don't like those
solutions. I was fighting a little bit and then gave up.

Hope it helps.

--
With best wishes,
	Nick Orlov.