Re: New BK License Problem?

From: Mark Mielke (mark@mark.mielke.cc)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 20:05:31 EST

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 04:54:47PM -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Of course Larry would have to do the changes "slowly" so people would
> > not notice. And every time someone complains he can repeat his "I'm
> > running business".
> At which point he'll piss of more and more kernel developers and lose them
> "slowly" as well, unless Linus himself gets pissed at which point the kernel
> user base will disappear in a single glitch. Breaking SCCS compatibility
> "slowly" without anybody noticing before it's too late is a bit far fetched
> IMHO.

Also, I think Larry would find it difficult to 'slowly' break SCCS
compatibility. It either works, or it doesn't.

As somebody in a similar field, I find it odd that Larry bothered to
keep SCCS compatibility in the first place. If anything, it holds him
back for only questionable gain. It would not be unreasonable for
Larry to license an extractor utility under looser restrictions than
BK.

mark

--
mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca/markm@nortelnetworks.com __________________________

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/