Re: The reason to call it 3.0 is the desktop (was Re: [OT] 2.6 not 3.0 - (NUMA))

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 15:28:16 EST

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> If that's a bet, I'll take you up on it.

Sure. The mey is:
 - we can more easily fix the f*cking filesystems to be sane
 - then trying to add prescient read-ahead to the kernel

In other words, trying to do an impossibly good job on read-ahead is
_stupid_, when the real problem is that ext2 lays out files in total crap
ways.

> I did say difficult. It really is, but there are big gains to be had.

But why do the horribly stupid thing, when Andrew has already shown that a
one-liner change to ext2/3 gives you platter speeds (and better speeds
than your approach _can_ get, since you still are going to end up seeking
a lot, even if you can make your read-ahead prescient).

In other words, you're overcompensating.

                Linus