Re: The end of embedded Linux?

From: simon@baydel.com
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 05:06:03 EST

Following this thread I am even more disturbed about the
embedded Linux world. I do not have any problem with code size,
and I would have no problem in paying for some kernel development
should I require it. I would ask questions via this mailing list but I
would not expect kernel developers to fix problems specific to my
environment.

I agree that the embedded projects are in need of cpu control, irq
behaviour etc. I can also accept that this is the case for a large
percentage of embedded projects. I have no real perception of what
hardware people use their embedded projects but in my case the
hardware is dedicated to the specific task in hand. To get Linux
running on the hardware I had to make changes to kernel/lilo code.
The hardware has it's own type of interrupt controller, no RTC, it's
own type of serial port, no vga etc. These changes are specific to
this hardware and are not likely to exist anywhere else. I do not
expect kernel developers to maintain this and maybe I am missing
the point completely, but why would anyone want me to distribute
this code ? More to the point what about the drivers more specific
to the task of the hardware ? No one else can run these drivers so
how could I expect someone else to maintain them ?

The real point of all this is that the kernel developers seem really
upset about embedded code which is not released under the GPL.
I can understand the desire to keep all of the code free and open. I
can also understand how upsetting Linux developers must be in
seeing their code being used for other peoples gain, who do not
wish to participate in the open source arena. However I can not
understand how it would be practical for many organizations to
release code under the GPL for specific hardware. The only use I
could see for this is other people taking a look to see how the
hardware works. This to some companies is too much to give
away. Perhaps someone could educate me on this point ?

I thought that this was the main problem for embedded projects. If
this is no the case I would like to know. So I see the end of
embedded Linux not in the code size or speed sense but in the
constant battle between organizations wanting to keep their ideas
to themselves and the kernel developers wanting these
organizations to distribute GPL code.

Many Thanks

Simon.