Re: BK MetaData License Problem?

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 14:39:48 EST

[ Different issue, and slightly off-topic ]

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> until now the Linux kernel tree was distributed in a tarball that had a
> nice COPYING file in a very prominent spot. With BK the situation is
> different - and like i said in previous mails it's not BK's "fault", but
> BK's "effect" - and it's a situation that needs to be remedied, right?

If this is a concern, it actually appears that BK has the capability to
"enforce" a license, in that I coul dmake BK aware of the GPL and that
would cause BK to pop up a window saying "Do you agree to this license"
before the first check-in by a person (the same way it asked you whether
you wanted to allow openlogging).

Do people feel that would be a good idea? I actually dismissed it when
Larry talked about it, because I felt people might take it as another "too
much BK in your face", even though the license would be the _Linux_
license, not the BK one.

                Linus