Re: BK MetaData License Problem?

From: Jes Sorensen (jes@wildopensource.com)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 12:17:00 EST

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk> writes:

[snip]

Russell> There is a _big_ question about reproducing peoples personal
Russell> information in the EU (eg, email addresses) on web sites,
Russell> even archives of public mailing lists. The exim mailing
Russell> lists were recently threatened with legal action over this
Russell> very point, and there was talk at one point about having to
Russell> shut down the whole exim.org site because of this. The end
Russell> result of this debarcle was various posts were deleted from
Russell> the list archive.

This whole metadata discussion leads me to another question which has
been bothering me about BK's 'Open' Logging and hosted trees for a
while. What is happening to all the infomation that BitMover is (or
could gather) from people accessing the Open Logging site as well as
the hosted repositories? There could be a lot of marketing value in
this if BM decided to abuse it. Ie. some marketing manager could
decide to run advertisement campaigns listing names of known
individuals using the software.

I just checked http://www.bitkeeper.com/Sales.Licensing.Free.html and
the word 'privacy' does not occur on that page at all.

While I understand BK need for a license to publish the metadata, then
I'd be a lot more comfortable with a written guarantee restricting the
use to the logging site or similar.

Jes