Re: BK MetaData License Problem?

From: Daniel Berlin (dberlin@dberlin.org)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 11:18:41 EST

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, David S. Miller wrote:

> From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
> Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 14:04:42 +0200 (CEST)
>
> It's not a big problem today because if you ask me then i'll tell you that
> it's GPL-ed - but what will be the situation be in years? Couldnt
> 'BitMover or any other operator of an Open Logging server' argue that the
> MetaData is owned by whoever created them, and is not covered by the GPL -
> and only 'BitMover or any other operator of an Open Logging server' has
> 'permission to republish the Metadata'.
>
> Anything you write is automatically copyrighted by you, even if you
> don't specifically state it as such.
>
> That is my basic understanding of copyright law.
Correct.

Registration, for the most part, only affects remedies.

There are, as one would expect, weird corner cases and whatnot (bad
engineering :P).

But the short of it is that registration gives you the ability
to get statutory damages and attorneys fees. Without registering, you can
only get actual damages.
--Dan