Re: export of sys_call_table

From: Kasper Dupont (kasperd@daimi.au.dk)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 09:17:21 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> I wonder why kmonte can't just use a reboot notifier.... existing
> infrastructure already ;(

Because it doesn't hook sys_reboot to get notified about reboots.
It hooks sys_reboot to add new calls, it could have been a new
system call, but what monte does is slightly related to a reboot.

I have myself added a feature to monte where it was essential to
hook the sys_reboot call and do something else when a reboot was
requested. Maybe I could have used a reboot notifier.

What really bothers me about monte is:
1) Doesn't work on SMP
2) Doesn't seem to be maintened (does it even work on 2.5)?
3) Is not completely stable
4) Only available as a module, cannot be compiled in kernel.
5) I couldn't get my additional feature working with the latest
   version of monte.

Perhaps there is some better alternative which I don't know?

--
Kasper Dupont -- der bruger for meget tid på usenet.
For sending spam use mailto:aaarep@daimi.au.dk