Re: New BK License Problem?

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 18:28:52 EST

> That's not what I was talking about. It is not possible anymore to use
> the same process we did. It is not possible anymore to react right away
> on "Linus checked the patch in; try it.".

Because Linus is using BK it is easier for him to make his work in
progress available, so he does. Before he was using BK, you got a
snapshot when he put up for ftp. It is an absolute fact that Linus
tree is far more quickly available, via regular patches or BK, than
it was before he used BK.

If he stopped using BK then you'd be back to the old patch availablity.
If he used Subversion or CVS or Perforce or whatever, because of how
those systems work, I'm positive that you'd see his publish rate drop.
BK makes it really easy to do what Linus is doing. If he had to manage
the same set of things using traditional branching techniques then
he'd publish less because it would be harder to do so.

The bottom line is that the use of BK is giving you faster access to the
data you want, in whatever form you want. So I fail to see the problem.

--
---