Re: The end of embedded Linux?

From: Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 14:49:41 EST

Gigi Duru wrote:
> Trivial experiment: configure out _ALL_ the options on
> 2.5.38 and build bzImage. My result? A totally useless
> 270KB kernel (compressed).

Maybe you could explain the options you had to add to make
it useful to you? That may help folks figure out where the
thing can be slimmed down.

> Now try to put in some useful stuff and the
> _compressed_ image will cheerfully approach 1MB. Where
> are the days when a 200KB kernel would be fully
> equipped?

Gone too are the days where you could easily buy something
as small as a 2MB flash chip :)

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>