Re: [patch] Workqueue Abstraction, 2.5.40-H7

From: Kristian Hogsberg (hogsberg@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 18:20:09 EST

Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> writes:

[...]

> > create_workqueue()? Either create a cpu-bound thread for each cpu, or
> > create one thread that can run on all cpus.
>
> i understand your point, and i really tried to get this problem solved
> prior sending the multiple-workers patch, but it's not really doable
> without major kludges. Is it really a problem on SMP boxes to have a few
> more kernel threads? Those boxes are supposed to have enough RAM.
>
> the only other way would be to introduce 1) runtime overhead [this sucks]
> or 2) to split the API into per-CPU and global ones. [this isnt too good
> either i think.]
>
> there is enough flexibility internally - eg. we can in the future do
> better load-balancing (if the XFS people will ever notice any problems in
> this area), because right now the load-balancing is the simplest and
> fastest variant: purely per-CPU. [in theory we could look at other CPU's
> worker queues and queue there if they are empty or much shorter than this
> CPU's worker queue.]
>
> I also kept open the possibility of introducing multiple worker threads
> per CPU in the future. But having a single-threaded an per-CPU behavior in
> a single API looks quite hard.
>
> we could perhaps do the following, add a single branch to the queue_work()
> fastpath:
>
> if (!cwq->thread)
> cwq = wq->cpu_wq;

Yeah, that was what I was thinking of... if you want to avoid the
branch in the fastpath, we could do something like

struct workqueue_s {
        cpu_workqueue_t *cpu_wq_ptr[NR_CPUS]
        cpu_workqueue_t cpu_wq[NR_CPUS];
};

and initialize the cpu_wq_ptr entries to

        cpu_wq_ptr[i] = cpu_wq + i

in the multi-threaded case and to

        cpu_wq_ptr[i] = cpu_wq

in the single thread case. The lookup in queue_work() becomes

        cpu_workqueue_t *cwq = wq->cpu_wq[cpu];

which costs an extra pointer deref. Not sure if it's better though.
Alternatively, the !cwq->thread test you're suggesting could be marked
unlikely() so that the multi threaded case which will be used for
performance critical workqueues will be favoured by the compiler.

> and the single-thread queue variant would thus fall back to using a single
> queue only. Plus some sort of new variant could be used:
>
> struct workqueue_struct *create_single_workqueue(char *name);
>
> [or a 'flags' argument to create_workqueue();]
>
> The runtime thing looks slightly ugly, but i think it's acceptable. Has
> anyone any better idea?
>
> > Another minor comment: why do you kmalloc() the workqueue_t? Wouldn't
> > it be more flexible to allow the user to provide a pointer to a
> > pre-allocated workqueue_t structure, e.g.:
> >
> > static workqueue_t aio_wq;
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > create_workqueue(&aio_wq, "aio");
>
> yes, but every creation/destruction use of workqueues is in some sort of
> init/shutdown very-slow-path, so efficiency is not a factor. But clarity
> of the code is a factor, and in the dynamic allocation case it's much
> cleaner to have this:
>
> wq = create_workqueue("worker");
> if (!wq)
> goto error;
>
> than:
>
> wq = kmalloc(sizeof(*wq), GFP_KERNEL);
> if (!wq)
> goto error;
> if (create_workqueue(wq, "worker")) {
> kfree(w);
> goto error;
> }

Sure code clarity is the biggest factor here, but I was thinking we
could cut down the number of dynamic allocations. My guess is that in
the common case, the workqueue_t is either statically allocated (as in
the case of keventd) or embedded in another struct and allocated as
part of that struct:

        struct hpsb_host {
                char *name;
                /* whatnot */

                workqueue_t wq;
        };

        host = kmalloc(sizeof *host, GFP_KERNEL);
        if (!host)
                goto error:

        host->name = "ohci1394";
        workqueue_init(&host->wq, "ieee1394");