Re: [OT] 2.6 not 3.0 - (NUMA)

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 18:13:41 EST

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

> When you say we have "some of" that (NuMA support) ... what else would you
> like to see?

The main thing that I think is lacking is any relevance to any significant
user base, thanks to lack of interesting hardware. So even if Linux itself
was doing everything perfectly, as long as there is no wide hw base and
users, it's all pretty much academic, the same way SMP was during the
early 1.x days.

And I'm not trying to put you or any of the Linux NuMA work down here, I'm
just saying that what makes it not important as a "3.0 feature" is just
that deployment doesn't merit it yet.

                        Linus