Re: RAID backup

From: Herman Oosthuysen (Herman@WirelessNetworksInc.com)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 13:51:17 EST

Yep, a constant lowish temperature will also help a little, but I
honestly think that in storage, a disk drive bearing will seize due to
corrosion and lack of movement, before the electronics will fail. You
can prevent bearing (and capacitor) problems by starting the drive up
every 6 months for a while though.

The effects of long term storage is experienced with military equipment,
which frequently have to stay in storage for 40 or 50 years without ever
really being used. The stuff in storage has to be cycled through the
workshops to keep them operational, which is part of the high cost of peace.

If disk drives are used for backup purposes, then I would suggest that
they are rotated, so that they all remain in occational use, which
should help to keep them alive. Of course, the first thing to fail,
would be the connector of the removable drive bay and there is nothing
you can do about that, except to make sure that the connectors are gold
plated to begin with.

I don't think that people have to worry too much about transportation
vibration and shock to/from an off-site storage facility. These things
are quite rugged when not spinning, so if you transport them in
styrofoam boxes and don't drop them on the floor, they should be OK.

BTW, putting a drive in storage for 40 or 50 years is not recommended
for another reason: Obsolecense. In 40 or 50 years, you probably won't
have a computer that can use these drives anymore! So, the only way to
keep data long term, is to rotate the media continuously and upgrade as
new technology is introduced.

Cheers,

Herman
http://www.AerospaceSoftware.com

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Herman Oosthuysen B.Eng.(E), Member of IEEE Wireless Networks Inc. http://www.WirelessNetworksInc.com E-mail: Herman@WirelessNetworksInc.com Phone: 1.403.569-5687, Fax: 1.403.235-3964 ------------------------------------------------------------------------