Re: [ANNOUNCE] nptl 0.2

From: J.A. Magallon (jamagallon@able.es)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 10:10:54 EST

On 2002.10.04 Ulrich Drepper wrote:

>Now that the Linux kernel is once again able to run all the tests we
>have and since glibc 2.3 was released it was time for a new code drop.
>I've uploaded the second code drop for the Native POSIX Thread
>Library:
>
> ftp://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl/nptl-0.2.tar.bz2

Fine !!

>You need

This is the hard part...

>- - the latest of Linus' kernel from BitKeeper (or 2.5.41 when it
> is released);

Mmmm...

>- - glibc 2.3

Easy. I suppose it is binary compatible with 2.2.5.

>- - the very latest in tools such as
>
> + gcc either from the current development branch or the gcc 3.2
> from Red Hat Linux 8;

OK in my cooker.

> + binutils preferrably from CVS, from H.J. Lu's latest release for
> Linux, or from RHL 8.

Done.

Well, so you need:
- new binutils, easy to do.
- new gcc, already in Mandrake and RedHat (?? about SuSE and others)
- new glibc, probably the first update when Cooker and RawHide are
  unfrozen again. And it is a final release.

Problem is kernel 2.5. Too 'risky'.
I would like to ask again: could you state what new kernel features are
needed (futexes, cpu-affinity syscalls, signalling changes...).
Perhaps people can use 2.4 -ac or -aa trees (if for example nptl only
needs futexes).

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon@able.es>      \                 Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es                         \           It's better when it's free