Re: RAID backup

From: Kanoalani Withington (kanoa@cfht.hawaii.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 15:00:07 EST

I have to pipe in here and agree that the idea of using a disk array
alone for backups is not a sound idea. Sure, backing up 2Tb to an old
exabyte drive isn't going to work, if you really have that much data you
need some more modern equipment.

Essentially I believe the idea of a redundant array sounds safer than it
really is in practice, especially when dealing with very large arrays
and with level 5 arrays. The reasons why this is so are manifold,
suffice to say that a few years of actually using such devices shows
that they have much more potential for catastrophic failure and latent
failure (you don't know it's broken until you go to use it and find out
it's broken) than a well designed tape archive or backup.

Not that disk to disk backups are a completely bad idea. In my
experience a combination works best. For example, automatic backups to
reserved disks or disk arrays on remote systems every night, but once a
week tape snapshots of that data. It's a lot of tapes but over time it
will prove to be worthwhile. If the data volume is too high, simple
backup scripts that write every file only once (essentially an archive)
to tape to make it more practical.

-Kanoa