Re: IDE subsystem issues with 2.4.18/19

From: Jordan Crouse (jordanc@censoft.com)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 10:33:16 EST

I had the same problem on the same motherboard with a
Goldstar LG DVD/CD-RW drive. The Goldstar FAQ
(http://www.lgeservice.com/faqcdrw-1.html) mentions something about a
problem with DMA on the VIA motherboard.

So on a whim, I tried a different CD-ROM, and it works perfectly. Now I am using a ASUS CD-ROM for ripping audio, and my Goldstar for everything else, which seems to be a decent solution.

So it would appear to be an interaction problem between certain CD drives and the VIA firmware, but I am not sure if a firmware update even exists, and if it does, I don't know if it will help or not (www.via.com.tw seems to be down right now). I'm actually very happy with my current setup, and so I haven't been motivated to try anything new.

So, draw strength from the fact that you are not alone, but I can't offer you much more help than to tell you to swap out hardware. Sorry.

Jordan