Re: EVMS Submission for 2.5

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 09:51:39 EST

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Kevin Corry wrote:

> > I might agree with something along the lines of
> > * when evms is initialized, it's notified of all existing gendisks
> > * whenever disk is added after evms initialization, we notify evms
> > * whenever disk is removed, we notify evms
>
> This sounds like it would be exactly what EVMS needs. The only thing we would
> want to add to this list is: "*whenever a disk is modified, notify evms". For
> example, with removable media drives (such as Zip and Jaz), when a cartidge
> is changed, the capacity of the drive might change, and we would like to be
> notified of that event.

Umm... OK. There were some plans to add a notifier chain for such events
and EVMS looks like a possible user of that beast. However, it's not
obvious whether we need to do any of that in the kernel - we definitely
can have userland up and running before _any_ block devices are initialized,
so it might be a work for userland helper.

Speaking of which... Linus, mind if I start feeding initramfs stuff?

> > However, I doubt that it's what you really want. In particular, you
> > probably want to see partitioning changes as well as gendisk ones
> > (and no, "evms will handle all partitioning" is _not_ an acceptable
> > answer).
>
> EVMS won't really be interested in partitioning changes. It only cares about
> whole devices, i.e. minor_shift == 0.
>
> > Moreover, "gendisk is here" != "something is in the drive".
>
> Will there be a common method for determining "media present"? The current
> method EVMS uses to determine "media changes" is somewhat inconsistent
> between IDE and SCSI.

There's none. We need some way to deal with that, but for that we need
at least sane and stable interfaces. Right now _all_ "media changed"
stuff on the driver side is ad-hackery.

> > IOW, the real question is what are you going to do with that list of
> > gendisks?
>
> EVMS will try to read volume metadata from each device and activate volumes
> if it finds any pertinent metadata.

_Ouch_. "Each" as in...? E.g. do you want to do that for floppies? Cdroms?
EVMS volumes themselves? Things like /dev/loop? (and if yes, at which point
do you do that?)