Re: RfC: Don't cd into subdirs during kbuild

From: John Levon (levon@movementarian.org)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 09:45:59 EST

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 09:27:49AM -0500, Kai Germaschewski wrote:

> Since it gives Rules.make the wrong file names in $(obj-[ym]), and relies
> on implementation details inside of Rules.make in combination with the
> vpath statement to make things work despite those wrong names.

This sounds like kbuild's problem not mine. That is, I don't see
anything particularly ugly in using vpath.

> So did you decide to move things from drivers/oprofile/$(ARCH) to
> arch/$(ARCH)/oprofile? It's possible to make it work, but not pretty. As I
> said before, kbuild actually expects to have all parts of a single module
> to be in a single dir. This can be lifted a little bit as done for xfs,
> but spreading parts all over the tree is not very desirable IMO.

Can the kernel people decide amongst themselves what they want, then
I'll just do it ?

Personally, the arch/ drivers/ split seems perfectly natural for
oprofile.

regards
john

--
"Me and my friends are so smart, we invented this new kind of art:
 Post-modernist throwing darts"