Re: AARGH! Please help. IDE controller fsckup

From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk (roy@karlsbakk.net)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 08:13:28 EST

> > I have used presistent superblocks, but md0,1,2,3 will be differently
> > ordered if I change the disk order... At least I think so. It surely
> > didn't work.
>
> No. md0 would stay md0. This is another effect of using superblocks,
> and in fact this is also (ironically) more or less the only argument
> *against* using them :)
>
> (Imagine inserting a disk which knows that it is disk 0 of md0 into some
> machine that already has a perfectly fine md0 running)

ok. so. theoretically - as long as the system finds all 16 drives, I should be
able to shuffle them around and attach them to whichever controller there is?
right?

ok.

now, I've replaced the faulty controller, and booting up. the new controller
is also (like the old one) a CMD649...

hæ?

it works. but it surely didn't work last time...

thanks

> > But ... with persistent superblock - is it possible to fsckup the raid?
>
> You're root, it is indeed possible :)

er - yes. I more meant like 'automagically'

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester
ProntoTV AS - http://www.pronto.tv/

Computers are like air conditioners. They stop working when you open Windows.