Re: [kbuild-devel] linux kernel conf 0.6

From: Roman Zippel (zippel@linux-m68k.org)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 06:17:30 EST

Hi,

(I almost forgot to reply to this one, sorry for the delay.)

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Kai Germaschewski wrote:

> I'm not particularly fond of these md5sum hacks. I don't think it's all
> that annoying for the developer, either, it's basically just a
> alias make="make LKC_GENPARSER=1"
>
> (Of course, you'll have to update the _shipped files eventually, but there
> isn't really any way around that either way)

Where's the problem with md5sum? If the rules are usually not visible
anyway, why do we use the _shipped postfix at all? The depencies are
hidden this way as well, so make won't even try to regenerate the file.
The developer has to remember that extra argument to get the file
regenerated, what is IMO more hacky than using md5sum.

bye, Roman