Re: block device size in 2.5

From: Joe Thornber (joe@fib011235813.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 05:56:10 EST

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 06:46:30AM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Joe Thornber wrote:
>
> > Why is the total size of a block device held in struct gendisk rather
> > than struct block_device ?
>
> It is mirrored into bdev->bd_inode->i_size. However, struct block_device
> is not persistent - persistent stuff lives in struct gendisk.

Thanks.

Is gendisk the right name for that structure now ? Since all block
devices now have to use it. I've always avoided using gendisk before,
arguing that dm produces block devices, not disks. I don't need
partitions and I don't particularly want the devices to appear in
/proc/partitions.

Joe Thornber