Re: [rfc][patch] kernel/sched.c oddness?

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 01:54:17 EST

> [...] However, I noticed on my 2xSMP system that quite unbalanced loads
> weren't getting even CPU time best example - 3 processes in busywait
> loops - one would get 100% of one cpu while two would get 50% each of
> the other.

this was done intentionally, and this scenario (1+2 tasks) is the very
worst scenario. The problem is that by trying to balance all 3 tasks we
now have 3 tasks that trash their cache going from one CPU to another.
(this is what happens with your patch - even with another approach we'd
have to trash at least one task)

By keeping 2 tasks on one CPU and 1 task on the other CPU we avoid
cross-CPU migration of threads. Think about the 2+3 or 4+5 tasks case
rather, do we want absolutely perfect balancing, or good SMP affinity and
good combined performance?

        Ingo