Re: LMbench results for 2.5.40

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 18:37:57 EST

> From: Patrick Mau <mau@oscar.prima.de>
> Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 00:08:54 +0200
>
> Could someone explain the results I marked with '???' ?
> The ones under 'Local Communication Bandwidth'.

By the way, the place you will probably see variance in LMbench is in the
context switch benchmarks, it's almost certainly due to randomness in
cache layout and there isn't a thing we can do about it. You can run a
zillion runs to get an average but please realize that is an *average*.
The context switch number are accurate, the low ones represent no cache
collisions and the high ones represent lots of cache collisions.

FYI. I don't like it either.

--
---