Re: Linux v2.5.40 - and a feature freeze reminder

From: Peter Chubb (peter@chubb.wattle.id.au)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 18:06:07 EST

>>>>> "Christoph" == Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> writes:

Christoph> On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 12:32:47AM -0700, Linus Torvalds
Christoph> wrote:
>> you _should_ also test this code out even before the freeze. The
>> IDE layer shouldn't be all that scary any more, and while there are
>> still silly things like trivially non-compiling setups etc, it's
>> generally a good idea to try things out as widely as possible
>> before it's getting too late to complain about things..

Christoph> What about the 64bit sector_t (aka >2TB blockdevice)
Christoph> patches. IMHO they're a must-have for 2.6 (people already
Christoph> ask for backporting them to 2.4..) and last time I check
Christoph> Peter had a BK tree with nicely split changesets.

Indeed... And I'm trying to merge it all now into 2.5.40. Sorry I've
been a bit slow --- testing, especially error testing when disks fill
up, takes a long time (How long does it take to write 4 TB to a disk?
About a day with the machines I have here. Multiply that by three
(now four with XFS) filesystems to test...)

--
Dr Peter Chubb				    peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au
You are lost in a maze of BitKeeper repositories, all almost the same.