Re: [patch] Workqueue Abstraction, 2.5.40-H7

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 15:49:24 EST

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Despite all the previous fuss about the problems of typedefs, i've never
> had *any* problem with using typedefs in various code i wrote.

Big things should have big names. That's why "u8" is u8, because it's not
just physically small, it also has very little semantics associated with
it.

I want those variable declarations to stand out, and make people
understand that this is not just a variable, it's a structure, and it may
be taking up a noticeable amount of space on the stack, for example.

That's the main issue for me. I don't personally care so much about trying
to avoid dependencies in the header files that can also be problematic.
That's probably partly because I use fast enough machines that parsing
them a few extra times doesn't much bother me, and circular requirements
tend to be rare enough not to bother me unduly.

So the thing is a big red warning sign that you're now using a complex
data structure, and you should be aware of the semantics that go with it.

                        Linus