Re: [patch] Workqueue Abstraction, 2.5.40-H7

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 14:16:12 EST

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> the attached (compressed) patch is the next iteration of the workqueue
> abstraction. There are two major categories of changes:

Pease don't introduce more typedefs. They only hide what the hell the
thing is, which is actively _bad_ for structures, since passing a
structure by value etc is something that should never be done, for
example.

The few saved characters of typing do not actually _buy_ you anything
else, and only obscures what the thing is.

Also, it's against the Linux coding standard, which does not like adding
magic single-letter suffixes to things - that also is the case for your
strange "_s" suffix for a structure (the real suffix is "_struct").

Remember: typing out something is not bad. It's _especially_ not bad if
the typing makes it more clear what the thing is.

I've done a global search-and-replace on the patch. The resulting patch is
actually _cleaner_, because it also matches more closely the old code
(which used "struct tq_struct"), so things like tabbed comment alignment
etc tend to be more correct (not always, but closer).

                Linus