2.4.18+IPv6+IPV6_ADDRFORM

From: Steve G (linux_4ever@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 11:32:21 EST

Hello,

I am using a 2.4.18 kernel and ran across something I
thought was odd and need to understand better. I'm
writing a test suite to verify xinetd and I'm trying
to check a socket via getsockopt() to see if the
IPV6_ADDRFORM socket option has been set. I cannot
find IPV6_ADDRFORM in the Single Unix Standard or man
pages, so I am going by what is in Richard Steven's
book, Network Programming vol 1.

According to it, calling getsockopt() with level
IPPROTO_IPV6 and option IPV6_ADDRFORM should get the
option value. However, I get a socket error. I changed
the level to IPPROTO_IP and the call goes through, but
Richard Stevens' book states that AF_INET or AF_INET6
should be returned rather than 0 or 1.

1) should the level really be IPPROTO_IPV6?
2) do other platforms use IPPROTO_IP to retrieve this
option or said another way, is the behavior observed
in Linux portable?
3) should the returned value be 0 & 1 or AF_INET &
AF_INET6?
4) Is this a deprecated option and likely to be
dropped?

Also, the Sus v3, states there is a socket option:
level IPPROTO_IPV6, option IPV6_V6ONLY...will this be
supported in 2.4 or 2.6? A grep -r doesn't get any
hits from /usr/include.

Thanks,
Steve Grubb