Re: Early SPECWeb99 results on 2.5.33 with TSO on e1000

From: Gerrit Huizenga (gh@us.ibm.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 14:05:27 EST

In message <20020906.114815.127906065.davem@redhat.com>, > : "David S. Miller"
writes:
> From: "Martin J. Bligh" <Martin.Bligh@us.ibm.com>
> Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 11:51:29 -0700
>
> I see no reason why turning on NAPI should make the Apache setup
> we have perform worse ... quite the opposite. Yes, we could use
> Tux, yes we'd get better results. But that's not the point ;-)
>
> Of course.
>
> I just don't want propaganda being spread that using Tux means you
> lose any sort of web server functionality whatsoever.

Ah sorry - I never meant to imply that Tux was detrimental, other
than one case where it seemed to have no benefit and the performance
numbers while tuning for TPC-W *seemed* worse but were never analyzed
completely. That was the actual event that I meant when I said:

        We also had some bad starts with using Tux in terms of performance
        and scalability on 4-CPU and 8-CPU machines, especially when
        combining with things like squid or other cacheing products from
        various third parties.

Those results were never quantified but for various reasons we had a
team that decided to take Tux out of the picture. I think the problem
was more likely lack of knowledge and lack of time to do analysis on
the particular problems. Another combination of solutions was used.

So, any comments I made which might have implied that Tux/Tux2 made things
worse have no substantiated data to prove that and it is quite possible
that there is no such problem. Also, this was run nearly a year ago and
the state of Tux/Tux2 might have been a bit different at the time.

gerrit