Re: ide drive dying?

From: Craig Ruff (cruff@ucar.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 11:19:44 EST

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:44:52AM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> IBM DeathStar 75gxp.
>
> Well put. Also, don't turn off this drive --ever. If possible, back-up
> to something on a network, not to anything on the IDE bus.

I had one of these drives fail recently with the dread "clicking of death"
sounds (while it was retrying reads). What I discovered, while backing up
the disk, is that continuing sequential reads past the bad sectors without
and intervening operation would eventually cause the drive to get into a
messed up state where it erroneously reported the following good sectors
as bad.

My strategy to recover the good data was to read sequentially until I
got an error, then explicitly seek to the next good sector and continue
from there. This enabled me to copy the good data.