Re: IO-APIC in SMP dual Athlon XP1800

From: Johan Kullstam (kullstj-ml@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 19:31:08 EST

 Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 18:53, Scorpion wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I got my Dual Athlon XP1800 working now.
> > Everything gonna well after changed MP 1.4 Support to disable in BIOS, and
> > leaving MP table enabled.
> > Anyone knows if linux 2.4.19 has not yet a full implemantation of MP 1.4 or if
> > it is just a BIOSes bug?
>
> On the 1004 BIOS with the ASUS it seems to be a bios table error. Later
> BIOSes fixed it, then removed the option, then broke lots of other
> stuff. I went back to 1004 so I dont know how the newest fare

I am using 1006. I have enabled MP 1.4 in order to get the IRQ
numbers 16 and beyond. I am not sure how useful that is since several
PCI IRQs are shared and there are lots of free ones. Anyhow, MP 1.1
works just fine too. I am using the Athlon MP 1900+ CPUs.

Note to anyone who is considering this cpu/motherboard, this combo
uses *shedloads* of power. 400W is *not* enough (I've seen Alan post
to this effect before but it bears repeating). Also, make sure you
have good case airflow -- all that power that is being consumed is
being turned into heat. Aftermarket CPU heatsink and fan are a good
idea. Unfortunately, it is a bit crowded for 80mm CPU fans though.

Things are stable now once I mitigated the heat death problem.

--
Johan KULLSTAM