Re: Race in shrink_cache

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@arcor.de)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 15:00:14 EST

On Thursday 05 September 2002 21:22, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Daniel Phillips wrote:

> > > That's the one. Page reclaim speculatively removes a chunk (typically 32) of
> > > pages from the LRU, works on them, and puts back any unfreeable ones later
> > > on.
> >
> > Convergent evolution. That's exactly the same number I'm handling as a
> > chunk in my rmap sharing project (backgrounded for the moment). In this
> > case, the 32 comes from the number of bits you can store in a long, and
> > it conveniently happens to fall in the sweet spot of performance as well.
>
> That's SWAP_CLUSTER_MAX. I've never really seen a reason to change
> its value. On 4k pagesize.
>
> The pagevecs use 16 pages. The thinking here is that we want it to
> be large enough to be efficient, but small enough so that all the
> pageframes are still in L1 when we come around and hit on them again.
> Plus pagevecs are placed on the stack.

> > I think the extra refcount strategy is inherently stronger, and this
> > is an example of why. The other would require you to take/drop an
> > extra count explicitly for your private list.
>
> OK. I assume you taught invalidate_inode_pages[2] about the extra ref?

Yes, all the magic tests have been replaced with versions that depend on
the LRU_PLUS_CACHE define (1 or 2). As a side effect, this lets you find
all the places that care about this with a simple grep, so I'd be inclined
to leave the symbol in, even after we decide which setting we prefer.

--
Daniel