Re: 2.5.33-mm1

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 15:18:01 EST

"Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 08:33:37PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > I *really* think we need to throw away those pages instantly.
> >
> > The only possible reason for hanging onto them is because they're
> > cache-warm. And we need a global-scope cpu-local hot pages queue
> > anyway.
>
> Yep --- except for caches with constructors, for which we do save a
> bit more by hanging onto the pages for longer.

Ah, of course. Thanks.

We'll still have a significant volume of pre-constructed objects
in the partially-full slabs: it seems that these things are fairly
prone to internal fragmentation, which works to our advantage in
this case.

So yes, perhaps we need to hang onto some preconstructed pages
for these slabs, if the internal fragmentation of the existing
part-filled slabs is low.