Re: 32bit UID wraps around with smbfs

From: Urban Widmark (urban@teststation.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 06:14:16 EST

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Smbfs has problems with 32bit UID/GID's: when you do
> 'smbmount //some/share /mnt/samba -o uid=100000' the mountpoint UID (and
> GID) wrap around at 65535.
>
> The attached patch, along with samba recompile against fixed headers
> apparently fixes it. This problem is present at least in all 2.4 kernels,
> I haven't looked at 2.5.

I don't think this is an acceptable fix for the main kernel. You are
changing a binary interface in a stable kernel series.

I personally think that smb_mount_data is a bad idea and are slowly
working on moving smbfs to an ascii interface. With 2.4 any recent
smbmount should be using the ascii interface already, the problem there is
that smbmnt uses the smb_mount_data internally ...

This patch contains stuff I want to have included in samba 2.2.6,
including fixes for smbmnt's uid-abuse:
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbmount-2.2.5-misc-2.patch.gz

And this is needed to change the storage size of the in-kernel mount
struct:
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbfs-2.4.18-uid32.patch

/Urban