Re: Benchmarks for performance patches (-ck) for 2.4.19

From: Ed Sweetman (ed.sweetman@wmich.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 21:03:37 EST

Wouldn't the majority (to an undeniable extent) of the "responsiveness"
of desktop usage be on X's code? if we are talking about that. The
problem with finding a benchmark is that first you have to have a
definition of what you're benchmarking. The "system responsiveness"
term is far too vague. When there's a definition to the term there can
be a benchmark made to measure it. I mean, besides making the kernel
with as low latency as possible, what is bad about the responsiveness in
the kernel? If there's any lag in responsiveness that i see it's
always something X related, particularly Xfree86.

You can't really benchmark something where everyone's issues are "things
go slow when i use "some" benchmark and try using my computer at the
same time" or "it feels better or worse." I'd be quite interested in
making a benchmark and/or using it to help responsiveness in linux, who
wouldn't want that? But I just think we have a fairly good kernel and
the bottleneck is not it in the case of the majority of users and what
they report as "system responsiveness." As computers get faster and
faster we expect to see that reflected in the software we use, perhaps
it's just making some design issues with X more apparent ...perhaps not.
  Just some food for thought.