Re: IDE?

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 08:27:25 EST

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 02:20:07PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 11:17, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> > I have completely rewritten (and very well tested) versions of the amd
> > and piix pci ide drivers.
>
> I have completely non-rewritten piix drivers that work extremely well
> are now easy to read, commented and have done for a very long time. Why
> do I want rewritten ones ?

Even nicer? Easier to add new devices? Not having switch(deviceid)
everywhere? Don't know. I believe they're better. In any case it's a lot
of good work thrown away, yours or mine. :(

The two drivers in question attached in their form suitable for
2.4-non-ac, you can take a look. If there is a chance to get them into
2.4-ac/2.5, I can change them to fit the kernels as needed.

> > I'm now looking through 2.4.20-pre2-ac5 and your version of via82cxxx.c,
> > and all looks quite good to me, except for some of the indentation
> > changes which seem to make the code fit into 78 columns at the loss of
> > readability. Was the file run through indent?
>
> Andre may have indented it a bit. I've probably caused a bit of noise in
> checking all the static's etc

It's awful in my opinion, others may differ. Would you mind if I sent
you patch that'd put the indentation back, while keeping all the code as
you have it now?

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs