Re: IDE?

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw (jbglaw@lug-owl.de)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 13:16:24 EST

On Fri, 2002-08-16 18:35:29 -0700, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
wrote in message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0208161822130.1674-100000@home.transmeta.com>:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Alexander Viro wrote:

> - in particular, it would only bother with PCI (or better)
> controllers, and with UDMA-only setups.
[...]
> And then in five years, in Linux-3.2, we might finally just drop support
> for the old IDE code with PIO etc. Inevitably some people will still use

That's bad. Then, you're nailed to use old kernels without having
possibilities of recent kernels only because you're working with eg. old
Alphas, PCMCIA-IDE things or so? Bad, bad, badhorribly bad. Even it's
sloooow, there'll always some need for PIO-only controller support...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw   .   jbglaw@lug-owl.de   .   +49-172-7608481
	 -- New APT-Proxy written in shell script --