RE: About the need of a swap area

From: Buddy Lumpkin (b.lumpkin@attbi.com)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 17:49:46 EST

It's still there, but they say not to enable it...

There was a memory leak in the segmap and the only way pages would get freed
was by the scanner waking up (in the manner explained earlier). richard
mcdougald wrote an article about this called the paging storm.

They implemented a new system that still tends to give preference to
filesystem pages called a cyclical page cache. I haven't seen any
whitepapers on how it works though.

I wouldn't call it embarrasing though, they still recommend that you always
run it on pre-Solaris 8 systems because it tends to improve performance by
quite a bit on systems where there is lot's of filesystem I/O.

--Buddy