RE: About the need of a swap area

From: Buddy Lumpkin (b.lumpkin@attbi.com)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 17:39:41 EST

ok, first off let's not turn this into a *ix vs. *ix type discussion, I
didn't mean to imply Solaris is more superior.

But that's exactly what it does. Solaris doesn't move *anything* to swap
until you reach a watermark called cachefree (which may or may not be equal
to lotsfree)

Why would you want to push *anything* to swap until you have to?

Dirty filesystem pages have to be flushed to disk, it's just a question of
when. Why on earth would I ever decide to move anonymous pages for any
process to disk if I can flush dirty pages to their backing store and put
non-dirty filesystem pages back on the freelist?

Like I said, it's very rare for my systems to do any I/O to swap at all.

and it's pretty relative what "long unaccessed" means ..

--Buddy