Re: Linux booting from USB HD / USB interface devices

From: Matthew Dharm (mdharm-kernel@one-eyed-alien.net)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 16:49:22 EST

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 02:15:15PM -0400, David Ford wrote:
> Linux booting from USB HD
>
> 1) Most motherboard vendors (that mention Linux) are indicating Linux
> 2.4.x for support. How is the USB Mass storage support in 2.4.19+?

It works nicely for many people.

> 2) There are some vague comments about some devices requiring the
> ability to boot, are there some USB hard drives that are incapable of
> acting as a boot device?

Yes. They are few, tho. The USB-IF is currently working on a bootability
standard to eliminate this problem.

> 3) I don't suspect there is anything tricky or nonstandard that I'd need
> to do on the USB drive, do I need corrected?

No correction.

See www.linux-usb.org for a link to a list of good devices.

> 5) What kernel issues do I need to be aware of?

THe stock kernel won't work. There are patches floating around to make
this work. Basically, the kernel needs to pause for a couple of seconds
before attempting to mount the root fs so that the plug-n-pray detection
can work, identify the drive, and get going.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

Okay, this isn't funny anymore! Let me down! I'll tell Bill on you!! -- Microsoft Salesman User Friendly, 4/1/1998